Colin is a partner at Virtus Law. An experienced shipping finance lawyer, he heads the Singapore law side of the banking and finance department of Stephenson Harwood (Singapore) Alliance. Clients have described him as efficient and meticulous.
His principal area of practice is in banking and finance. He is also adept at company law, with a focus on shipping, having been involved in a number of major merger and acquisition transactions involving shipping companies in Singapore. Colin regularly acts as Singapore legal counsel for all the major shipping finance banks in high value ship finance and complex leasing transactions.
He has also advised owners in ship sale and purchase transactions, charterparties, shipbuilding contracts and vessel registrations and de-registrations as well as yacht financing. Colin also has had experience as a litigator, having practised both in Malaysia (as a general commercial litigator) and in Singapore (as a shipping litigator) where he has appeared up to the Courts of Appeal in both jurisdictions.
Colin's other areas of practice encompasses aviation finance, where he has acted for bother lenders and borrowers, in transactions involving the financing of the acquisition of aircraft; as well as general banking transactions where he has advised on domestic and cross-border, syndicated and bilateral lending transactions and security arrangements.
Colin holds an M.Phil from the University of Cambridge and has qualified as a Barrister-at-law (Inner Temple) England, U.K. in 1996. He is also called to both the East Malaysian Bar as well as the Singapore Bar and has been in active legal practice since 1997. He has previously held the position of committee member of the Singapore Shipping Association's International Committee. Colin has also contributed to the latest edition of the leading ship finance industry handbook, Shipping Finance (Fourth Edition) prepared by Stephenson Harwood.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- LLB (Hons), University of Northumbria at Newcastle, 1994
- Masters Degree, University of Cambridge, 1995
- Inner Temple as a Barrister-at-Law, 1996
- Sarawak Bar in Malaysia, 1997
- Singapore Bar, 2004
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore Academy of Law
- International Committee of the Singapore Shipping Association
- Fellow of the Cambridge Commonwealth Trust
- Acted for a Singapore listed company in (i) its bidding exercise for the charter of an FSO to an oil major; (ii) the conversion by an Indonesian yard of its tanker to an FSO; (iii) the sale of the said FSO for US$52 million; (iii) the financing arrangements with the lenders.
- Acted for an Australian based offshore vessel owning company in its purchase of a 180 ton bollard pull anchor handling tug supply vessel from a Japanese yard for US$40 million.
- Acted for a Singapore company in its acquisition of a 25,000 DWT heavy lift vessel from a Chinese yard for US$33.3 million.
- Acted for a Singapore company in its acquisition of 2 oil tankers from Japanese sellers with an aggregate purchase price of US$88 million.
- Acted for the Singapore based subsidiary of an American finance company and a Norwegian finance company in their construction and term loan of an aggregate amount of US$83 million made to a borrower for its construction and acquisition of a 141.70 metre offshore diving support/ construction vessel.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to a Finnish bank in a syndicated secured loan facility of up to US$510 million made to a Singapore borrower in a fleet financing of 18 vessels.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to a Norwegian bank in a revolving credit facility of up to US$380 million made to a Singapore borrower in a fleet financing of 13 vessels.
E firstname.lastname@example.org | D +65 6661 6852 | M +65 9795 0025