Arthur is the Consultant and one of the founding partners at Virtus Law. He practices in the areas of corporate and commercial law, and also in intellectual property. His core speciality is in mergers and acquisitions. He had been consulted on some of the most significant investments and transactions in Singapore real estate, electronics, motor parts manufacturing, the oil and gas business and the construction of oil exploration vessels in the region. His extensive experience and practical approach is appreciated by clients who require effective representation at the negotiating table for large and complex transactions.
His current interest is in labour-related problems affecting investors in South-east Asia. This includes fraud by employees, immigration policies and laws affecting supply of skilled labour, and effective labour practices to avoid tension and strife.
Arthur was a past Secretary General of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association. For the period May 1996 to December 1997, he was a columnist of the Asahi Shimbun (Sunday international edition) and from 2003 to 2005 he was Advisor to the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Mongolia.
In 2014 Arthur was selected for inclusion by Asia Law & Practice
in its publication of Asialaw Leading Lawyers
as one of the outstanding corporate lawyers in Singapore.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- LLB (Hons) (Singapore), 1967
- Advocate and Solicitor, Singapore, 1970
- Barrister and Solicitor, Western Australian Bar, 1981
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association (Secretary-General 2007-2009)
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association, Japan, Singapore
- International Trademark Association
- International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property
- Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners
- Society for the Institute of Directors
- Anti-competition behaviour by an MNC.
- Oppression of minority shareholders by a MNC private equity group.
- Labour issues encountered by a MNC upon their cessation of business in Indonesia.
- Restructuring of several major Japanese companies into Operational Headquarters in Singapore to better pursue their objectives of increased investments in South-east Asia.
- Internal fraud of a Malaysian subsidiary in a MNC perpetrated by a team of executives.
- Acting for a South-East Asian kingdom in a legacy territorial dispute.
E firstname.lastname@example.org | D +65 6835 8662